Monday, July 23, 2007

Battlestar Galactica: "Act of Contrition"


When I go on vacations, especially when I am in Europe, I have a habit of visiting churches. I picked up a card in one cathedral (I don’t know which one). On one side is a copy of a painting of Jesus holding a lamb on his lap with one hand and holding a staff with his other hand. On the other side, it is printed:

Act of Contrition—O My God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I
detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell,
but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who art all-good and deserving
of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess
my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life. Amen.

The Act of Contrition is a prayer, recited by the penitent during the Latin Rite Roman Catholic sacrament of Confession. This prayer (and various forms of this prayer) is used throughout not only the Catholic Church, but in some Protestant churches and denominations, as well.

The title of the fourth episode of Battlestar Galactica is appropriately “Act of Contrition” and largely deals with Starbuck’s grappling with the accidental death of her fiancé, who also happened to be Commander Adama’s son and Lee Adama’s brother. She is left in charge of training some new “nuggets,” recruits to become sort of replacement pilots after a terrible accident killed a dozen or so on the flight deck. This training task surfaces painful memories of Zak Adama’s death, for which Starbuck feels responsible since she had passed him for Basic Flight despite knowing he didn’t have the chops to be a Viper pilot. She is overly harsh and critical of the nuggets’ first day performance and flunks them all. A mix-up in communication between Commander Adama and Apollo leads to the Commander to calling Starbuck to his cabin to discuss Zak’s death and ultimately finding out what she did for Zak, resulting in a seriously strained relationship.

Adama’s cabin becomes a confession booth and this conversation becomes one of confession:


Adama: He said something else. That you might have been feeling
guilty about something you did for Zak. What did you do for
him?
Starbuck: I don’t know. You’d have to ask
Lee.
Adama: I’m asking you.
Starbuck: Well I don’t kn-…I, ah…I
don’t really know what he was talking about, so…
Adama: Don’t fence
with me, Kara. I love you like a daughter. I don’t deserve
that.
Starbuck: Ummm…Zak…failed…Basic Flight. He wasn’t a bad
pilot; he just had no feel for flying…and, um, when it came to his final check
ride he…busted…three of the test maneuvers, and I should have flunked him, but I
didn’t. The bottom line is your…son…didn’t have the chops to fly a
Viper…and it killed him.
Adam: (following a flashback) You did it
because you were engaged.
Starbuck: (breaking down) Because I made a
mistake…because I was just…I was so in love with him…and I let that get in the
way of doing my job…and um, and he um, he just wanted it so much, and I…I didn’t
want to be the one who crushed him…
Adama: Reinstate the trainees to
flight status.
Starbuck: I will…but I just want you to understand…that
I…
Adama: Do your job.
Starbuck: Yes sir…
Adama: And
walk out of this cabin…while you still can…

Adama receives her confession with clear anger in his eyes, but pushes her forward, forcing her to reinstate the nuggets and train them for flight status, forcing her to move past her deep feelings of guilt into penance. When Starbuck is dismissed, her reaction is as that of one who has lost heaven, who has offended her father figure. It seems that she needs to forgive herself in order to move on in her life and what she does to forgive herself, what she does to move on in her life, is her job correctly—be a good teacher for the new recruits. It’s an opportunity to start new as their teacher.

During a training exercise with the nuggets, a Cylon Raider shows up and attacks Starbuck and the nuggets. She orders everyone back to Galactica, while she stays to face the entire patrol by herself. However, one of the nuggets, “Hot Dog,” stays to help her. Starbuck’s viper is damaged during the dog fight and sent hurtling towards a nearby planet out of power and out of control, along with the last surviving raider that was damaged.

Another interesting theological point during this episode happens when Roslin consults with Dr. Cottle about her cancer. He tells her that her cancer has advanced beyond surgery and suggests a traditional treatment that is similar to our chemotherapy and radiation. She asks him if he has heard of an alternative treatment. “You mean prayer?” he asks rather sarcastically. She suggests an herbal treatment. When he acquiesces, he still suggests to her as he leaves her partition that she consider prayer as part of her treatment. I find it interesting and very real that the doctor/scientist is the one who suggests a faith avenue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.